When you start building applications with Docker, you’ll come up against two significant challenges: networking and service discovery. You can find many recipes for dealing with these tasks if you’re prepared to scrounge through a pile of blog posts.
In this short guide, author Michael Hausenblas, Developer and Cloud Advocate at Mesosphere, explains how networking and service discovery work in the Docker world, and provides a series of practical solutions for dealing with these challenges.
- Get an overview of Docker single- and multi-host networking
- Understand why service discovery and container orchestration (scheduling) are two sides of the same coin
- Explore technologies for service discovery, including ZooKeeper, Consul, Airbnb’s SmartStack, and Netflix’s Eureka
- Learn which orchestration solutions—such as Kubernetes and Apache Mesos—work best for your deployment
- Be prepared to experiment with different technologies until decent standards emerge
O'Reilly Media, Inc.
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, research, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly has been a chronicler and catalyst of leading-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and galvanizing their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.