Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks have existed for almost as long as the commercial web itself, and they remain one of the most effective ways to disrupt online services. But, since many of these attacks go undisclosed, industry collaboration on ways to combat them has been slow to emerge. This ebook provides engineers and IT managers with techniques for detecting and mitigating ongoing and potential DDoS events.
Authors Rich Groves and Eric Chou explain how DDoS can disrupt services by flooding your network with traffic from many different sources, often by using a botnet. You’ll learn about the people behind these attacks and their motivations—such as criminals seeking financial gain, thrill and status seekers, and angry and disgruntled users—and ways that you can thwart them.
The techniques in this ebook enable small to mid-sized organizations to implement DDoS prevention measures on a budget—before the size of your infrastructure requires the services of a commercial DDoS vendor.
- Get an overview of DDoS, including common attacks, botnet-driven attacks, and those that take advantage of IoT devices
- Explore the pros and cons of current DDoS detection methods and mechanisms
- Study the approach to DDoS mitigation at the network and application level, including ways to combat SYN Flood and Classic Flood attacks
- Evaluate cloud-based DDoS detection and mitigation vendors to determine the best fit for your organization
- Learn how to leverage community-based systems to construct a DDoS-focused Threat Intelligence system